I think it’s fair to say that we all need a bit of extra support and love this year (hello, almost 2 year anniversary of quarantine) and that ESPECIALLY goes for all the small shops. I know that Amazon is easy and reliable, but is it really? I feel like all the time spent scouring reviews and looking for best-priced items is negated by the a) price gouging that it requires of other shops, b) poor working conditions Amazon offers to its below-the-line employees, and c) honestly, poor quality of items that you’re likely to receive. I mean, you get what you pay for right? And not to mention d) the fossil fuels and resources all that shipping uses up….
So now more than ever, I’m promoting PATIENCE and SUPPORTING LOCAL. Patience in giving yourself time to really find the right gift, and in waiting for it to arrive to you (two-day shipping is a luxury we honestly don’t really need!!) Supporting local means buying from Canadian brands, visiting their storefronts to say hello and pick things up yourself when you can (you know that free shipping = they take the hit, right?), and remember those extra dollars that you’re spending are going directly into the pocket of your community… Which is a really good thing!
I LOVE supporting and helping small businesses wherever I can. In this season’s gift guides you’ll notice that I’ve tried to include lots of details about the brands I’m referencing. Right now, I’m especially focused on boosting brands that are LGBTQ+ and Minority inclusive 🙂 Here are some of my favourite things to check out!!
- Little White House in Langley BC – I LOVE LOVE LOVE all their fashion and home decor items
- Canvas Candle Co. and Cat and Tae Collective for ALL of your candle needs
- k’Pure Naturals of course one of my favourites out of Mission BC. They’re all about organic, minimalist skincare!
- Haven side tables or custom bookshelf or cookbook stand from Primrose Lifestyle. They’re family-owned and based out of Alberta 🙂
- Glasses from The Cross Decor and Design or holiday ornaments!! The Cross is Vancouver-based (check out their storefront in Yaletown ❤)
- Tofino Towel and Chelsea King released a scrunchie collaboration!! Tofino Towel is BC based (obviously) and Chelsea King has the. Most. BEAUTIFUL scrunchies and hair accessories, and is super focused on sustainability and slow fashion!! LOVE. This is a match made in heaven.
- Meirako’s Handwriting Collection pulls hard on my lil mama heartstrings. These are such beautiful, delicate designs from a girl with a dream! Check out her shop’s story here.
- Dazzle Your Puzzle is one of my FAVOURITE finds on Etsy. Their personalized alphabet or clock makes a sweet gift for your kids and is such a great tool for learning!!
- The Wooly Canvas, another Etsy star, makes beautiful designs with custom colours to match any room in your home. She’s super well known for her Macrame Rainbows but is also featuring such precious holiday ornaments at the moment 🎄
- Blue Pine Innovations (Etsy friend) made THE MOST beautiful shelving, which we put in our boy’s playroom. It’s the perfect touch between wood and white.
- The Little Tableau did Bence’s name for his nursery!! They’re also on Etsy.
- Cannfoster Creations did the most beautiful sign for Pierce’s room: A reminder to slow down and read the books, sing the songs and hold him just one more time more 🥰. They also did his camp Pierce sign!
- Nanor for candles and body scrubs. They’re Canadian!!
- Pure Balanxed. I’ve talked about them so much this season lol, you’ll find them in maybe every single gift guide!! They’re a Canadian-based fashion brand with the SOFTEST stuff for you and your family’s bods. I love their Classic Crew in Fawn.
- Cassandra Cake Co is a local (Port Coquitlam based) cake-making extraordinaire who satisfies alllllllll of your cake decorating needs (and I mean all of them…. 😍). She also won Food Network’s The Big Bake 2021!! So cool.
- Os and Oakes another Canadian company with gorgeous and comfortable clothes for your little ones!
- PK Beans I talk about PK Beans everywhere too haha!! Canadian based clothes for your little ones to play in, that’ll last and be handed down for years to come!
- Maple Ridge Florist for beautiful, local flower designs.
- I love Smash + Tess’s Vancouver-designed clothes! I have a few of their rompers and every time I go to check out I have such a hard time not buying one for each of my family members LOL.
- Land of Daughters has such beautiful, high quality scents and with a super strong message behind them!!
What are some of your favourite Canada, BC, and Vancouver based shops? I always love finding new places to source my goodies from, so PLEASE share yours in the comments below!! Bonus points if you have your own small shop- MAKE SURE to mention that so we can all support you 🙂